Faculty of Science co-op program
A five-year Co-operative Education option is available in all Science programs (except for Forensic Science, which has an embedded experiential component), which satisfy the guidelines of the Canadian Association for Co-operative Education. These five-year programs combine an Honours Bachelor of Science program with embedded work terms. The co-op option gives you opportunities to apply your classroom and lab concepts to real-world situations and help you gain valuable, relevant work experience, promote networking and lifelong career success.
Co-op work terms give you the opportunity to:
Earn a competitive salary that helps pay for your university degree.
Obtain work experience to help clarify your career objectives.
Get a distinct advantage to assist your prospects for full-time employment after graduation or for being readily accepted into graduate school to pursue further studies.
Studies have shown that university students who graduate with a co-op degree have lower debt loads, are employed faster and have higher starting salaries.
Am I eligible to complete a Science co-op?
You can apply as early as the Fall term of Year 2 (Semester 3) up until end of third year (Semester 6).
You must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.7 after Year 2 (Semester 3) up until you go out on co-op.
So you are eligible to participate in the co-op program; what’s next?
- Step 1: Complete a Science Co-op Application form. Come to Student Life – Career Centre in U5-62 to speak with Janette Banga, pick up an application form and change of program form. You also have the option of filling out the application forms online by visiting uoit.ca/careercentre. Select the link to the Career Centre Portal. Once you are signed in, you can select Services for Students, then the Internship and Co-op tab. You can access the registration form under the Forms tab.
- Step 2: Fill out the forms and return them to the Student Life – Career Centre in the U5 Building, Room 62 or email both attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Step 3: Schedule an appointment with the Career Centre to update your resume and cover letter. You can either go online to uoit.ca/careercentre to book an appointment or come to the Student Life – Career Centre in the U5 Building, Room 62 and the Career Centre can book it for you.
- Step 4: Start applying to jobs! There are a variety of co-op postings available on the Co-op and Internship portal. We also encourage you to look for additional opportunities on your own. If you find a company, please contact Tracy James-Hockin, Job Development Co-ordinator, who will follow up with the company and make the connection. Good sites to set up job alerts with include indeed.ca and talentegg.ca; search for Science Co-op.
I have found a position; what are my next steps?
- Step 1: Visit the Career Centre to sign the Student Agreement.
- Step 2: Email your offer letter to email@example.com or drop off a copy of your offer letter to the Student Life – Career Centre in the U5 Building, Room 62.
- Step 3: Attend a Success Workshop before beginning your co-op term.
Program benefits and fees
View information on the Science co-op fees.
What else do you need to know?
Students accepting a co-op offer must agree to:
Withdraw from all other current co-op competitions and refrain from applying to any further co-op positions available during the term of the signed contract.
Remit payment of the co-op administration fee ($500 per semester) to the university's Accounting department once this appears on their MyCampus account.
Return to UOIT on a full-time basis upon completion of the co-op to continue their intended degree programs.
How can Career Services help?
We can help you:
Complete the necessary documentation to enroll in co-op program.
Tailor your resumé and cover letter.
Locate relevant co-op opportunities.
Prepare you to market yourself with confidence at the interview stage.
Transition smoothly from school to work.
For more information, please contact:
Science Co-op Co-ordinator and Job Development Co-ordinator
905.721.8668 ext. 5363
Co-op and Internship Assistant
905.721.8668 ext. 3824