Counselling practicum placements
Student Mental Health Services (SMHS) at UOIT is offering a part-time, unpaid practicum for students working towards their master’s degree in Counselling Psychology. SMHS offers a range of services to help UOIT students appreciate and reach their personal potential. Our services include personal and group counselling, case management, consultations, outreach and crisis intervention.
The practicum provides a bridge for the application of theoretical knowledge in practice through field experience, supporting the transition from student to counsellor. Students will gain experience with clinical assessment, case conceptualization and an understanding of gender and cultural issues in their journey to become competent and reflective counsellors.
Practicum students will be paired with an experienced counsellor(s) and integrated into the SMHS team. They will be involved in providing counselling to UOIT students across individual and group contexts, as well as outreach and awareness initiatives. Training at the SMHS has an active experiential learning approach, where practicum students are involved in counselling activities.
Practicum placement opportunities:
Direct service (under the supervision of a SMHS Placement Supervisor):
- Conducting initial intake appointments for students seeking counselling.
- Providing individual counselling for students (six to 10 client hours per week).
- Group work (observing or co-facilitating).
- Facilitating of psych educational workshops.
- Outreach programs.
- Crisis intervention and management.
- Consultation with other professionals across UOIT.
- Planning intervention and reading.
- Outreach and group preparation.
- Professional development seminars.
- In-service professional development.
Supervision and learning opportunities:
- Individual supervision.
- Co-counselling with supervisor and opportunity to co-counsel or observe other counsellors.
- Case consultations.
- Critical incident debriefing.
- Clinical team meetings.
- Opportunities to participate in sessions of other UOIT counselling services including Career Centre and Student Accessibility Services
Send applications, including your letter of intent, statement of professional objectives for the practicum, and your current curriculum vitae to:
Manager, Student Mental Health Services
Application deadline: The placement position for the 2016-2017 academic year has been filled. If you are interested in applying for the 2017-2018 academic year placement, please submit your application by April 30, 2017.