Learning Strategies Counsellors and Accessibility Advisors play a key role in the development and implementation of the accommodation plan, and they work directly with you (the student) to determine the appropriate success strategies. Your counsellor or advisor will assist with academic supports related to your disability for:
- Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) applications
- faculty liaising
- note taking
- placements or practicums
- referrals to the learning strategist and assistive technology specialist
- regular classes
Students with disabilities are urged to become their own advocate. You should seek the assistance of your counsellor or advisor to resolve an issue only after you have attempted to problem solve the situation yourself.
How do I see my counsellor or advisor?
It is important to meet with your learning strategies counsellor or accessibility advisor before the beginning of the semester. If you find that you are having difficulties, you are encouraged to contact your counsellor or advisor as soon as possible. In this way, you can begin working on solutions as a team, and keep issues small and manageable.
You can make an appointment:
- In person, by visiting:
- Office of Student Life - 61 Charles Street, second floor, Room 225 (for students at the downtown Oshawa location).
- Office of Student Life - U5 Building (for students at the north Oshawa location).
- By calling the Student Accessibility Services office at 905.721.3266.
- By emailing email@example.com.