Being the first in your family to attend university is an amazing accomplishment!
We are excited that you have chosen to study at UOIT and we are here to support you on your post-secondary journey.
To be considered a first generation student, your parent(s) or guardian(s) either:
- Did not attend a post-secondary institution.
- Attended, but did not successfully complete any post-secondary studies (i.e. did not obtain a diploma or degree).
UOIT recognizes that the transition to post-secondary can be challenging for first-generation students. A student entering post-secondary studies often has many questions about different areas of student life. We are here to assist you while you navigate through all aspects of the university culture.
We have programming available with different components that work to ease the transitions of first-generation students into university and provide holistic post-secondary experiences.
- Community Events (through our peer mentor program)
- Peer Mentoring (through the UOIT Student Mentorship Program)
- Workshops (in collaboration with our on-campus partners)
As a first-generation student you will have access to this programming, which will provide you with the opportunity to participate in on-campus activities and connect with other first-generation students.
Please feel free to contact the program co-ordinators at any time. They are available to discuss this program and how it can best support you, answer any questions you may have, or assist you with finding on-campus resources.
This is your generation, your UOIT.
Be the first.