English as a Second Language
English as a Second Language (ESL)/English as an Additional Language (EAL) support services, provided by the Student Learning Centre, help students to develop their writing skills so they can better respond to university-level academic requirements.
Workshops, focusing on academic writing and presentation skills, are offered on a regular basis throughout the year. A weekly Conversation Café is available for students who would like to build their social network while developing speaking and listening skills.
One-on-one tutorial sessions, which offer individualized support in academic writing, are also available. Topics typically include:
- drafting and editing
- proofreading techniques
- research skills
- sentence structure, including grammar, spelling and punctuation
- writing strategies
Meet new people from other cultures and faculties at the Conversation Café. No registration is required. The Café takes place from September to April on Thursdays from 4:30 to 6 p.m. in the U5 Building, Room 60. To learn more, contact the Student Learning Centre.
Resources for students
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Writing
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- The University of Victoria Writer's Guide
- UOIT- NOOL/Writing
- FactArchive.com - The Online Encyclopedia and Dictionary
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
- Longman English Dictionary Online
- Merriam-Webster Learner's Dictionary